About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

28 April 2011

(Wherein our explorer-ess strikes out across the seas)

Twenty nine years ago, I came to the United States as a child from El Salvador with two suitcases.  An entire life, packed up.  What's most important?  Beloved toys left behind.  Baby albums, yes.  Now, I'm leaving on my own journey, two suitcases beside me as my husband and I move to South Africa for a year (or so.)  I cannot help but think how much easier I have it than my parents.  How much, much more courageous they were.  I am not escaping a war.  I do not have four children to provide for.  I speak the language.  I am not fleeing.  It feels more like jumping.  This blog will be an account of that journey.  An account of making do with less. Of focusing on the essential.  Of bringing only what you love. Pretty pictures and food and new people and places and homemade beauty recipes from a post post feminist will ensue. Ramblings and rants perhaps (ahem, surely).  Most of all, I hope it will be an account of living life as fully as possible, two suitcases be damned.

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! This will be one of my must-read blogs (of which hardly any make the cut)!

    P.S. This is Ali, although I'm masquerading as my doggie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hiya Paul! hey, sorry no pics of you at the party - the only one I had was the one Naomi took of your tongue! And Miss Ali!!! Yey! I'll see if I can find any South African bullfighters to include in my stories :o)

    ReplyDelete