About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

06 October 2011

No-Knead Breads and Cookbook

Heya kids!

So, with the success of my Potjiekos Pan (the New York Times No-Knead Bread technique) I have become emboldened.

Yes children, I have taken on the previously-positively-petrifying thought of making my own bread!

Since I had such success with the NYT bread, I went in search for a book that focused on the No-Knead method, and I found one, “Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads" by Nancy Baggett.

I don’t know if I would give the book 5 out of 5 stars ... Baggett tends to over-complicate (or perhaps over-explain?) the technique and there are some pretty vague descriptions (along the lines of make sure the dough is stiff, but not too stiff -- huh?).  Having said that though, I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars because there is a good range of recipes, from basic sandwich bread, to coffee cake, to baguettes.  

And I’ve had great success with the recipes I’ve tried (with a few minor tweaks and simplifications). 

For example, here is her Light Wheat Sandwich Bread – if I do say so myself, this turned out AMAZING:




And Rosemary Focaccia – again, really, really good:


The best part of the book though is how it shows you to convert basically any bread recipe into the no-knead method.  That led me to some awesome experimentation ... which I'll post about tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment