About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

17 November 2011

Augrabies Falls National Park: Monkey Thugs

So, before we get to the Kalahari (all the pictures are sorted by the way, OH YEAH!) I just want to share our day and a half at Augrabies Falls National Park.

We went there right before the Kalahari; one, because lots of people recommended it and two, because it broke up the trip to the Kalahari, which is long.  Very, very long.  So long in fact that Aaron got us an automatic car and I took the wheel:


Fear not kids, I only turned into the wrong lane once! 

Then we got to Augrabies and set up camp – their facilities are awesome by the way – and we had a nice Halloween braai




Next morning, we had a bit of an … incident.

I had gone off to shower and Aaron was washing up our breakfast dishes.  He had turned his back for a minute when all of a sudden, a gang of naughty vervet monkeys raided our camp!

 


 And they went straight for our favorite treat, dried mangos:


BAD, BAD MONKEYS!




Oh alright, they're pretty dang cute:





Apparently, they were really bold and Aaron had to get all WWE on them and yelled and threw chairs before they left the table alone.

By the time I came back, they were mostly gone and Aaron was all, you wouldn’t believe …

So, lesson learned. Put ALL the food away (we had everything but the mangos put away) and don’t turn your back for a second …

Tomorrow, the rest of Augrabies and next week, it's gonna be all Kalahari, all the time!

2 comments: