About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

11 November 2011

Happy Halloween from Augrabies National Park!

WE'REEEE BAAAAACK!

The Kalahari trip was AMAZING.  So much to share with you!  But first thing's first:

What?

I know it's super late, but look, I'm a huge Halloween nut.  In fact it's always been my favorite holiday!  When else can you dress and act like a complete nutter and not only not be stopped/shunned, but be encouraged ... celebrated, even?

No, kids, there's nothing like Halloween.  There's no Christmas-like gift-buying frenzy/pressure, there's no Thanksgiving-like massive feast preparing ... just CANDY.  Candy candy candy!  PLUS, it's only 2 days after my birthday -- so win, win, win, right?

But 2 problems with Halloween this year:  1. Halloween is just not a big deal in South Africa.  OHHH, woe.  South Africa, for all the aforementioned reasons, I encourage you to embrace Halloween to your crazy, candy-loving bosoms.  But the biggest problem, was that 2. We'd be camping at Augrabies National Park (just a short distance away from our ultimate destination, the Kalahari National Park) on Halloween.

But never fear, my good friend Gill came to the rescue.  She sent us off with a witch's hat and a whole bagful of goodies!

 
So, Gill, this one's for you!


I'll be back as soon as I can to the blog -- we have exactly 1,891 pictures to sort through from both Augrabies and the Kalahari.

Yeah.  Yeah .......

No comments:

Post a Comment