About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

22 December 2011

Recipe: Best Homemade Refried Beans ... EVER

Alrighty kids, here it is, Doña Esperanza's secret, fabulous, can't be beat, best refried beans recipe.  I should make you all sign a blood oath ...

This is how my mother taught me to make refried beans.  It is a classic example of taking just a few ingredients and making pure frigging gold.  It is also typically Salvadoran (in that we make very smooth refried beans, unlike Mexican versions, which tend to be chunkier), simple, easy (no soaking), very healthy, and so flipping delicious.

Here's what you do:

Take half a bag of pinto beans (here in South Africa the closest I could find was red-speckled sugar beans) or if you're very lucky and live near a Salvadoran shop (like the Lempa Market in St. Paul) you can get authentic Salvadoran red beans.  Sort through them for stones and rinse.

Put beans in a large pot, add one small (or half a medium) onion (quartered), one small (or half large) green pepper (rough chopped) and three medium garlic cloves (peeled but not chopped.)  Cover with cold water by about 4-5 inches. If you use the whole bag of beans double your quantities.


Bring to a rolling boil and keep it there for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours till beans are splitting their skins and are completely soft.  Check on them every once in a while, give them a stir and make sure they are always covered with water by at least an inch or two.  An easy way to do this step is in the crock pot.  Oh, how I miss my crock pot!

Once they are soft, add salt.  DO NOT ADD SALT BEFORE THIS POINT.  If you add salt to beans before they are soft they won't ever get tender.  Start with 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of salt.  You can add more later, but once you put too much salt in it's impossible to undo it.  In fact, I start with just a little, blend them, then taste and adjust.

Next step is to blend the beans.  Blend them completely smooth (in a blender) with all the veggies and most, if not all of their broth.  You want them pretty liquidy.  It shouldn't be a paste at all.  Because it's liquidy at the start, it takes a while to cook them down to the consistency you want and therefore develops more flavor.  Taste the beans again, add salt if necessary, but remember that you will be cooking a lot of the water out and the flavors will concentrate.  Again, better to be on the bland side at this point.

Now, take another small to medium onion.  Quarter it and add it to a large, cold (non-stick) frying pan with 2 tablespoons of a neutral tasting oil (canola, light olive oil, etc.)

 

Heat up the oil and onion slowly.  And then cook them ... and cook them and cook them ... until they look like this:


Yeah.  Till it's black and burned.  Don't freak out, this is the secret part of the recipe and I SWEAR that it won't taste burned or horrible.  Now, add your liquidy beans to the pan and stir around: 


What happens is that the oil and the onions flavor the hell out of the beans.  Truly scrumptious.  Cook them down until you get the consistency you want.  Make sure you stir them once in a while because the bottom will start to get thick while the top stays thinner, so stir them to even out the consistency.   When you've got it how you want it, pick out the onion pieces, and make any final salt adjustments. 

In El Salvador, we like them a little less pasty and more liquidy, but you do it how you want.  Of course I forgot to take a picture of the final product -- duh! 

But here's a picture of them in the actual pupusa:


They are very solid here because they were being used for the filling.  Usually, I'd leave them softer. 

These are absolutely delicious as a side dish, in burritos, on tostadas, as a healthy dip for veggies or tortilla chips, of course as filling for your pupusas ... or ... you know, at midnight right out of the fridge on a spoon!

PS:  Of course you can add more spices (bay leaves and cumin are my favorites) ... but when I want refried beans that taste like home, this is what I make, and they are my absolute favorites. 

11 comments:

  1. Hola Lorenita, the only step that it's necessary to add is: when the onion is very brown, take it out the frying pan before adding the blended beans, because the oil is flavoured enough.
    Mamita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm! My host family in Guatemala taught me a similar recipe, only they used black beans and added diced tomatoes to the mix. At the start of the week they'd make a *giant* pot of beans that would still be intact almost like bean soup. Each day it would get reheated for meals and by the end of the week it was a thick, creamy paste. I know it sounds weird to American ears to keep reating the same pot day after day but it was delicious and got better with each reheating. I make them occasionally but likely will make them more now - the crockpot idea is genuous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh-oh ! I done messed up my mom's recipe! So she says above to take out the onions BEFORE you add the blended beans!!! I think it's a matter of taste, really, because I leave the onions in while the beans cook down and I love them that way. I think you just get a stronger onion taste ... which I love. But now, at least, you know both versions.

    And YES, Sig, I love, love, LOVE Guatemalan black beans ... and many Salvadoran households do the same thing, just keep reheating the beans every day. And yes, honey, just put those beans on low, go to sleep and wake up to your beans done, poof! I call my crockpot my kitchen elf ... does all my work for me while I sleep :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lorena!
    I made these beans today and they were fun and fantastic! I will definitely make them again. I was wondering what kind of pepper you use. I used a green bell pepper (that's what it looked like in the photo above), but it didn't have any "kick" to it. I was thinking next time to use a stronger pepper - like maybe an Anaheim, Jalepeno, or even a Habanero (although that sounds a bit crazy!). What do you suggest? Or do you eat them very mild?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Falafelina (love your name by the way!) I'm so glad you made the beans! Yes, I use a green pepper because in El Salvador we eat them very mild -- well, completely mild actually, because we don't put any hot stuff in there. We usually serve hot sauce/salsa on the side, so everyone can adjust it individually. But if you like it spicy, go for it! I'd still add the green pepper (for taste) and then add the hot peppers in addition to it ... good luck and let me know how it goes! And Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Wow I love the idea of making my very own refried beans! I will be making them today most likely! I'm going to use them to put in African Bean pies.. A recipe I got from a close friend from Jamaica.. One day I may even try to make a Papusa.. They're similar to the bean pies only they're not made from corn flour! Great recipe! Very excited and I will give u feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to look at a few more of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made your beans last night and they were amazing! My son's girlfriend is El Salvadoran and her mom and grandma were nice enough to bring us back some authentic red beans from El Salvador on a recent visit. I cooked the beans and also made pupusas and curtido using your recipes. Everything was delicious. My son kept coming in the kitchen and eating the beans while I was re-frying them, he couldn't stay away (I left the onion in the pan, soooo much flavor!). And my husband commented that the pupusas and beans tasted better than our favorite El Salvadoran restaurant. My son's girlfriend helped with the cooking and I'm pretty sure even she was impressed. Thank you for sharing these great recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How where these with the red speckled sugar beans? I'm an American living in South Africa and while Mochachos is nice and all, I liss for the real flavours of Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, etc.

    I haven't had a pupusa since 2005 when I lived in Tacoma. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been making these beans for my family for years now, they often request. Thank you thank you!!! We love them 💜

    ReplyDelete