About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

07 June 2012

Recipe: Gill's Amarula Croissant Bread Pudding

So after all that road trippin' and safar-ing, how's about a little food?  It's been a while, no?

I thought I'd do a few posts on some amazing desserts.  And I'm gonna start with my absolute new best friend.  Like, we're tight.  Having a bad day?  She's there, in all her melting, crunchy, flaky, sweet, creamy, buttery glory.  

May I present, Gill's Amarula Croissant Bread Pudding:


So Easter Sunday, we go over to the Glasses for lunch and at the end of the meal (which was awesome and included a South African favorite, bobotie -- as soon as I get the recipe, I'll write it up) Gill brings this to the table.  "I just whipped this up quickly," she says.  As soon as I took a bite it took all I had not to take run from the table, entire panful in my hands, go to a distant corner of the house and stuff the whole thing in my mouth, handful by sweet-glory handful.

You think I'm exaggerating again, don't you.  Yeah.  All I gotta say is this:  Croissants.  And Amarula.  Amarula is like the South African cousin of Bailey's Irish Cream, made with a local fruit.  It is 100% my favorite liqueur.  It tastes like the best vanilla ice cream you've ever tasted, with a slight, mysterious fruitiness that you can't quite place.  SIGH.  And:  DROOL.

So, without, further ado, here it is.  With many thanks to Gill Glass for sharing her gorgeous creation!

Gill's Amarula Croissant Bread Pudding
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 cups milk
  • 250ml (1 cup) cream
  • 1/2 cup Amarula (if you can't get Amarula, subsitute your favorite creamy liqueur)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 8-9 Croissants (Stale ones are fine; whenever she has some getting old, Gill puts them in her freezer till she has enough)
Mix eggs, milk, cream, Amarula/liqueur and sugar till combined.

Place croissants in baking dish.  For a bread pudding that has more crunchy texture (from the top), choose a larger, more shallow dish.  For a bread pudding with more a more creamy center, choose a deeper, smaller dish. 

Pour liquid mixture over croissants and let them soak at least 30 minutes.  Bake at 175-180C (350F) for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!  (And seriously, you will!)

2 comments:

  1. Just checked and Byerly's has Amarula! You can come home now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. You have NO idea how much you've just saved me in shipping costs. I'm not even kidding!

    ReplyDelete