About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

04 September 2012

Namibia: Wild Horses

On day 3? 4? (hey I told you I was kinda hallucinatingly sleep-deprived) of our Namibian trek we went and saw the Namib Wild Horses.

Who?

Once again kids, let's turn to the font-of-all-knowledge that is Wikipedia:

"The Namib Desert Horse is a rare horse found in the Namib Desert, of Namibia, Africa. It is most likely the only feral herd of horses residing in Africa. Today, approximately 150 horses now live in 350 square kilometres of the Namib desert. The origin of these animals is unclear, though several theories have been put forward. Genetic tests have been performed, although none to date have completely verified their origin."

We never got great shots.  There were a bunch of tourists (dang those tourists) that kept ruining our shots.  Stallion rearing!  Great ... except for lady with pink visor directly behind him.  Sigh.  Oh well.  They were amazing.  Especially given their environment.  They are incredibly hearty to survive in such an unforgiving place.






PS:


Here is your cheesy You Tube video of the day.  No, but it really is a lovely rendition of a good song.  And I can't believe I'm saying that about a Rolling Stones song, but there you go.  But I don't advise you to go in search of the Rolling Stones actually doing the song.  Unless you like skinny, fish-lipped men who vigorously shake their nether regions at you.  That is all.  Run with the wild horses kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment