About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

30 August 2012

Namibia: Canyon Climbing, A Tale of Insomnia



Y-M-C-A!

"♪ Young(ish) (wo)man, there's no need to feel down.
Young(ish) (wo)man, get yourself off the ground ♫"

Well alrighty then, don't mind if I do!



This is a canyon near Sossusvlei.  What's the name of the canyon?  I have no idea.  Why you wonder?  Ah, well.  I guess I haven't mentioned it before but while this trip was A to the amazeballs, this trip was also a hellish experience in sleeplessness.  The nights were really cold, children.  And I'm a really light sleeper.  And because of the cold I had to sleep in a cocoon sleeping bag, which for a starfish sleeper (as in, that's the shape I take on whilst sleeping) like myself = clausterphobic torture.  Wish I were exaggerating kids.  But I slept horribly, if at all, most nights.  So by the time we got here, I was becoming delirious.  I can cope with many things, but give me night after night of sleeplessness and I.  JUST.  CAN'T.  With, like, anything.

So yeah, I don't know what the heck the name of this canyon was.  BUT.  I loved it.  Cuz I love climbing things.  I like heights.  I love scrambling on top of rocks and seeing how high I can go.

So, thank you, canyon-somewhere-in-the-middle-of-the-Namib-Desert, for making me gleeful in the midst of feeling like an insomiatic zombie!






No comments:

Post a Comment