About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

27 August 2012

Namibia: Deadvlei




Wherein I proudly show you my favorite set of pictures of the past year and a half.  There's not much I can say about this except that the Namib Desert is one of the most eeriely gorgeous places I've ever been in -- or hell, imagined being in.

I'm gonna let the pictures speak for themselves, but I'll explain a bit: The super eerie ones are the remains of a vlei (wetlands), long since dead and standing ghostly sentinel in the middle of the desert. 

Also, there are a couple of different ways of getting to the Deadvlei (or Dead Swamp, get it?), one is around the bend, the other is straight over an ENORMOUS dune ridge.  Due to some miscommunication/confusion on my part, I took the, uh, path less traveled.  And damn near died.  I swear my heart was about to explode.  And not in the, "Oh, the BEAUTY!" kind of a way, but in the "CHEST PAIN" kind of a way.  Anyhoo, Aaron (who took the other route) documented my epicness.  (It's the photo with a green arrow.) 

OK, I've blathered enough.  Enjoy the BEAUTY!






























1 comment: