About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

09 August 2012

Kgalagadi: ... And Cheetahs! ...

Next up:  CHEETAHS.  I think I can definitively say that of the big cats I've seen, cheetahs are my favorite.  They are all grace and strength.  And I must say, that if you're looking to see cheetahs in the wild, the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park is the place to go.  You get absolutely stunning sightings.

Like this:


This was a couple of boys.  They were on the move and I never managed to get them in the frame together.  But they still stopped a few times -- enough to get a few beautiful shots of them.


I love it when they stick their tongues out!


Then they crossed the road right in front of us and were gone.


The next morning, it was the turn of three siblings.  All caught in that beautiful early-morning light:




I love these next two photos (which Aaron took by the way.)  I think for all their swift elegance, cheetahs are also remarkably cute.  Never more so than when they lie, feet up in the air:


... then roll over and are all like, "What?"


Our last sighting was on our last day in the park.  We found this beautiful boy? girl?  lying maybe 10-12 feet from the road:


We were excited because there were springbok very near by and a few times it looked like he/she might be tempted to take them down:






But he/she seemed distracted by us:


And the other cars that started to line up behind us:



I would have loved to have seen him/her in action, but it was not to be.  Anyhoo, he/she isn't there for our entertainment.  It really was just a thrill to be so close to such beauty. 


No comments:

Post a Comment