About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

26 January 2012

Kalk Bay: From Apartheid Exclusion to Olé Barnacle Take Aways ...

This post has a little of the sacred and the profane about it; sprinkled with pretty pictures, a beautiful family and kooky signage.  Indulge me, yes?

A couple of weekends ago, our good friends Noel and Karen (with whom we spent New Year's) invited us over to their home for the weekend.  We spent a lovely 2 days once again with their amazing extended family ... 

And they took us to Kalk Bay.  Isn't it gorgeous?


It was a very windy day, so the long pier was closed (so that people wouldn't, you know, get blown in) but people were still fishing off the dock:


They have a fish cleaning station set up right there; also: "Olé Barnacle Take Aways." 


That is, without a doubt, my favorite restaurant name.  EVER.  Also, take a look at that center picture.  That girl does not look too happy about eating that sausage.  And let's leave it at that, shall we?  Onwards ...



The beach sits opposite the dock:


During apartheid, this (quite small) beach was a designated "non-whites" beach.  Noel and Karen told us of how incredibly crowded it used to get ... and the good times they had there.  That is what I find amazing about people in South Africa, that they can be talking about something like a "non-whites" beach and remember the good times instead of focusing on the bitterness that would otherwise consume them.  Of course not everyone is like that (I've met some pretty bitter people here as well) but Noel and Karen seem to me to be an amazing example of not allowing horrible things to mark you for life and instead, of making you appreciate the good things all the more.


There were dozens of bright little nautical jewels:






Look, we found the Titanic!



Noel insisted on a picture of him & Karen in front of the "Titanic" ... How adorable are these two?

 

On our way home we stopped at this overlook and spoke with the "Shark Spotter" guy:


At this beach, ladies and gentlemen, 6-8 Great White Sharks are spotted a day (in the high season.) Most are too far out to be a threat, but STILL!  You can't tell by this picture, but the beach was packed!  You wouldn't get me on that beach for a million dollars.  Nope.

Then afterwards it was off to Terrance and Petula's house.  I meant to take a bunch of pictures ... but then they started plying me with drinks, observe:



Double fisting it, oh yeah!

So I didn't get any pics of the amazing food, or most of the family!  Though I did manage to get a couple of shots of their pack of GORGEOUS pups:



Wanted to sneak one of 'em in my bag they were so cute!

There was much food, some intense quiz show playing and plenty of libations ...

But right before we left, I did manage to get most of the boys together for a shot:


Ladies, it's our turn next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment