About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

24 January 2012

Road Trip!: Ceres

So as I promised yesterday, here are some pictures of our trip to Ceres.  Of course we went there to go ziplining, but as I always say, the journey IS the destination!





You may think you've never heard of this tiny place, but I bet you have ... you know those white boxes of delicious juices sold at your local supermarket ... called "Ceres" ... Yup!  This is the one and only best-fruit-grown-here Ceres. 

The drive there was stunning:





Once we got there, we spent about 3 hours total doing the zip lining.  When we were done, we were sweaty, wind-ruffled, parched and starving, so on the recommendation of the zip line company owner, we went down the road to Waverly Hills, an organic winery and restaurant:


Lunch started with mussels in a creamy-cheesy sauce:


I had a chicken panini:


And Aaron had cheesecake with chocolate cake wedged in between:


Here are the views from the restaurant:



And then, tummies full, we were ♪ On the road again ♫




As I've discussed before, South Africa's signage and map-making can make for some fun adventures.  That is, if you call getting hopelessly lost "fun."  Which we do of course, weirdos that we are!  We ended up at 3 separate end-of-the-road situations, including this one, where tarmacked road turned into original cobblestone road:


As long as it's daylight and we've got plenty of fuel in the tank, we love getting lost in little back roads.  You see the most amazing things, discover adorable little towns, or find yourself in the middle of one of Ceres' famed orchards:


End-of-the-road number 2:


End-of-the-road number 3; this one ended extremely abruptly in a train station!:


But never fear, we found our way out and we were soon on our way home ...


But don't ever get complacent on South African roads, cuz the monkeys will mess yo' sh*t up.  You think I'm kidding?



These baboons were nutty!  We pulled over for a bit to watch them and as soon as one car passed, the whole lot of them would rush back onto the road ... for all of 15 seconds before the next car came rushing past.  Adrenaline-junkie baboons?


 

Once we got out of the mountains though, there were no more monkeys ... just lots and lots of beautiful fields.  Being from the Midwest, we felt very at home:


And finally, as we were nearing home, I finally got a picture of my favorite road sign ever.  I've mentioned it before, but here it is, finally, in all its glory:


YES! 

Smooches to you my lovelies!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lorena.Just read your blog about our potjiekos evening.Hosting you and Aaron was an absolute pleasure.Hopefully we can arrange something when your in-laws arrive.By the way, did you attempt the beans curry as yet.Send my regards to your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anton! Funny you should mention the bean curry ... as I just posted the recipe! Please let me know if I've made any mistakes! It was such FUN hanging out with you and your family and yes, hopefully we can work something out when my in-laws arrive! Take good care and say hello to everyone from us!

    ReplyDelete