About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

31 January 2012

Recipe: Lamb and Bean Curry (Potjiekos)

So this was my favorite of the 3 pochis that Anton made:


It's a lamb and bean curry.  I had never had a curry with beans in it, and it was a glorious discovery!  As a Mesoamerican, you know I love my beans, and this was a fantastic new way of enjoying them!

Now, the recipe I'm about to give was scribbled on a scrap of paper as dictated by Anton.  I've never made it before and I can't give you exact measurements (except for the spices, he did give me some of those measurements.)  I also didn't see Anton make it (most of it was done by the time we got there) so I'm putting the method together with what I saw him do with the other pochis.  With all that said, I say it's still worth experimenting with this recipe, because if you get even kind of close to what I ate, it will be spectacular!


Ingredients:
  • Vegetable oil, a few tablespoons
  • Finely chopped onions, I'd say at least 3 large ones
  • Finely chopped green pepper, at least 2
  • Finely chopped tomatoes, at least 3-4 large
  • Finely chopped garlic, at least 4 cloves
  • Bone-in lamb chunks, I'd guesstimate at least 1 kilo (2 pounds)
  • Beans (in SA use Sugar Speckled Beans, in the States use Pinto Beans), cooked till tender
  • Bay leaves (a couple?)
  • Cinnamon sticks (one or two?)
  • 1 tablespoon fennel seeds (known in SA as Barishap)
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander seeds (known in SA as Koljander)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Roasted Masala *
  • 4 tablespoons Rajah medium curry powder *
  • 2 tablespoons Rajah mild curry powder *

* If you're not in SA, I'd say just use a blend of different curry powders.  Experiment with ones that are hotter, milder, etc.

Method: 
In your well-heated potjiekos (or heavy dutch oven) add the oil.  Once hot, add the onions and let them sweat.  Add peppers and garlic and cook till soft, stirring to make sure nothing sticks.  Add the spices and cook till fragrant.  Add the lamb.  Once the lamb is no longer raw, add the tomatoes and beans.  Add a little water to help make the gravy (maybe about 1 cup).  Let the curry cook and cook and cook till the lamb is tender.

Serve on top of white rice and try not to have third helpings!

¡Buen provecho!

PS:  Anton (or any one from Noel's family who knows how to make this) if you read this, PLEASE let me know if I've made any mistakes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment