About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

19 December 2012

Chocolate Panna Cotta: Yummy, Easy & Healthy

Hi lovely people!

Christmas is almost upon us and although you might have all your cookies made, I thought I'd offer you an alternative treat for the holidays:  Chocolate Panna Cotta.  

I fell in love with Panna Cotta in South Africa.  I know it's originally an Italian dessert, but it was often on the menu in SA and I've been fiddling with different recipes since I got back to Minnesota.  This is my favorite so far, it tastes like a super smooth chocolate mousse but is a lot easier to make -- and a lot healthier!   It's what I like to think of as stealthily-healthy decadence.

It is super quick & easy -- no exaggeration, it takes 5 minutes total to make.  It's also very rich and chocolatey so you'd never guess how healthy it is -- which is kind of nice for the holidays!  I mean with so many full-fat, full-sugar desserts on offer, it's nice to have a yummy & healthy alternative!

First of all, I used dark chocolate, which in small amounts is very good for you (all those antioxidants and such.)  Also, instead of sweetening it with sugar I used stevia, which is all natural and calorie free -- you can find it everywhere now -- I even found it in South Africa.  I also used almond milk, but that's just because of my lactose intolerance.  You could certainly use cow's milk.  I'd use 2%.  Oh, and this would be an easy recipe to veganize, using vegan chocolate and agar-agar in place of the gelatin.

The recipe below is for 6 servings.  But you can double, quadruple it easily.  And if you want to make a bunch, silicone muffin cups (like these) would be ideal.  This Panna Cotta would be great for Christmas of course, or a New Year's dinner, or you know, on a random Tuesday night ... what?  I had to test them for you right?  

ENJOY!!!  and ... FELIZ NAVIDAD!


Healthy Chocolate Panna Cotta

6 servings:

  • 1 package Knox unflavored gelatine (or 1 Tablespoon unflavored gelatine)
  • 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of your choice)
  • 2 ounces (57 grams) dark chocolate -- chopped -- use your favorite
  • Stevia to taste -- I used about 1/16 a teaspoon, but I don't like things too sweet.  Here's what I recommend: add a teeny bit at a time and keep tasting till you like it.  Remember that stevia is much, much sweeter than sugar.  The total amount you add will depend on how much sugar was in your dark chocolate and, of course, your preference.

1.  In a saucepan, sprinkle the unflavored gelatine over 1/2 cup of the cold almond milk.  Let stand for 1 minute.

2.  Place over low heat; stir constantly until granules are completely dissolved -- about 3 minutes.

3.  Add the rest of the almond milk and whisk till hot and combined.  Add chocolate and stir constantly till it just comes to the boil.

4.  Add stevia to taste, anywhere from 1/16 - 1/4 teaspoon; whisk well.

5.  Pour into six 1/2 cup ramekins/molds or muffin cups.  Chill till set; I left mine overnight.

6.  Top with fruit/fruit sauces/sauce of your choice.  You can unmold it as I did above (run a knife around and dip the mold in hot water for a few seconds) or you can just leave them in their ramekins.

Note:
This recipe makes a very soft gelatin -- it is indeed, mousse-like -- which I love.  If it is too soft for you, add another packet of unflavored gelatin. 

BUEN PROVECHO!  ENJOY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment