About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

27 December 2012

¡Feliz Navidad!

Hiya!  Here's a quick little pictorial of our Christmas celebrations!

For us, the big celebrations come on Christmas Eve.  The first was at our house, where we had paella (I am writing up the recipe!)





My niece Naomi was fashion herself in her Christmas dress:


My nephew Nathaniel loved his cap from South Africa:


And Naomi loved her flamenco shawl and her South African doll whom she named Winnie (as in Mandela) ... look at my sister putting bunny ears on Winnie!


We had a great time (though Nathaniel might have been in a sugar coma at this point!)


Then it was on to the Armstrongs!


Don't Aaron and his dad look so much alike?


My mother-in-law and my sister-in-law:


Our cousin Crissy and her sweet daughter Bella:


It was pasta-party-time!


Cousin Jeff and Roman:


And cousin Guido's little boy, Aiden in his awesome new Spiderman slippers:


Squid is a big part of the Tuccitto family (Aaron's mom's side) tradition.  Back in the day, they -- like many Italians -- celebrated The Feast of the 7 Fishes on Christmas Eve.  These days, while we don't do 7 fish dishes, we still do the squid.  And it is amazing!


Here's what I brought, strawberry tarts topped with fresh whipped cream and strawberries:


At the front are Italian cookies, pizzales.  They are super light, crispy and slightly anise-flavored.  So good, I'm going to get the recipe from my mother-in-law!
 

It was a big gathering, and so much fun!



The next day (Christmas Day) is when the Armstrongs just chill!


After all that feasting and partying, it was lovely to just chill in front of the fire and relax with homemade biscotti and a hot drink.  

I hope all of you had a wonderful holiday with your loved ones.  

XOXO,
Lorena

No comments:

Post a Comment