About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

31 December 2012

Remembering SA: New Year's and the Fountens

It being New Year's Eve, I can't help but remember last New Year's.  It was one of the most fun nights I've ever had.  When Aaron and I were told we were going to stay up and ring in the New Year, we didn't know that we were literally going to stay up all night -- but that's what you do in South Africa!  And we didn't know that that night was going to be the beginning of our relationship with one of the most beautiful things South Africa gave us: the Founten family.

As we prepare to ring in 2013, I just want to take a moment to remember our dear friends, who from that first night treated us like family, who laughed with us, who shared family recipes, who taught us about everything from what it was like to grow up under apartheid to how to make a proper braai fire.

These pictures were taken at our send-off just days before we left South Africa.

Here are two of the cutest girls on this here earth, Miss Jamie Lee and Micah!


The boys, chillin':



The girls doing likewise:


Anton made a delicious potjie:


Mutton and bean curry -- my favorite!


Superstar!


She learned it from her mummy!


As always, the food was AMAZING:




Petula and Terrance are one of the sweetest couples I've ever met.  And Petula sings like a songbird!


Here are (from left to right) Auntie Angela, Trevor, Mark, Charmaine, Auntie Poppy and Anton:


The fabulous Liza and Fiona:


Girls, girls, don't argue about the cake!


Janine with her gorgeous baby Allyah:


And the whole clan!


And don't you know that they surprised us at the airport as we were leaving?  They are truly such a sweet, loving, fun family.  Saying goodbye to them made me cry like a baby!



Dear Foutens, we will be remembering you this New Year's!!!  We will miss the midnight braai and the dancing at 3 a.m. and watching those first rays as the sun brings us a New Year.  You are ever in our hearts! 

And to everyone, I want to wish you and yours ¡un Feliz Año Nuevo! May 2013 bring you lots of peace, joy, fun, adventures, growth, learning and love and love and love.  Gelukkig Nuwejaar!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Dear...
    I am so impressed with the author for this type of writing style.
    Get information about Best Anti Adware. Also read about packers and movers in Salt Lake.

    ReplyDelete