About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

08 March 2012

The Lost Posts: Centre for the Book

Hiya!

By now, I think we will be back from the Great Armstrong Tour o' South Africa and I will hopefully be peppering you with lots of new pictures and adventure soon!

For now, here is the last of the "Lost Posts." 

It's just a simple love letter to one of my favorite buildings in the whole world, the Centre for the Book.  It is literally our next door neighbor and is a beautiful little jewel dedicated to promoting literacy.  How could I not love it?

Here's some information about it from their website:  "The Centre for the Book is a unit of the National Library of South Africa. Its mission is to promote a South African culture of reading, writing and publishing in all local languages, and easy access to books for all South Africans.  The Centre advocates through its programmes the importance of reading for the nation and is involved in coordinating, promoting and encouraging book related activities in South Africa in all local languages. The Centre also coordinates various events and functions such as poetry readings, conferences, book launches, writing groups and writing workshops for teachers, youth and children."

Combine that mission with its glorious architecture, its calm, impressive main hall and the books everywhere?  If I went to church, this is what I would want it to be.

All hail the books.  Amen!

















The tall modern building you see in the background is our apartment building!

No comments:

Post a Comment