About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

15 July 2011

The Heads and Fynbos Forest

Knysna is perched on the edge of a lagoon, is surrounded by forests, and is well-known its natural beauties.

The most famous is a place called "The Heads," where Knysna's lagoon opens up between 2 sandstone cliffs.

The views are just amazing, stunning, thrilling -- fill in whatever adjective implies sweeping beauty and something-that-takes-your-breath-away. 




 






I could have stayed there all day, despite the fact that it was pretty dang cold.  (I took video here, and if we ever succeed in getting unlimited internet in our apartment, I'll upload it.)

After "The Heads" we drove through some of the few remaining stands of native South African fynbos forest:



 

 







Much like the fynbos elsewhere, this fynbos boasts trees and plants not found anywhere else on earth.  It was intensely beautiful and because of all the rain and mist, very "Lord of the Rings."

We wanted to take a hike through it, but it really was wet & miserable out, so we saved it for the next day (which I'll post.)

So we ended the day driving around and finding a canid rescue and education center where we saw jackals and, in a touch of home, timberwolves!


No comments:

Post a Comment