About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

25 July 2011

Road Trip!: Mossel Bay to Cape Town: Day 3

All right kids, that last post damn near killed me.

So for the last post of our 3-day Road-Trip-to-End-All-Road- Trips, I'm gonna try and shut up and let the pictures do the talking.

We woke up to a perfect, beautiful morning ...

 

And went for an hour and a half horse back ride through a winery near Franschhoek.

I rode Wizard, a spunky little pony and Aaron rode a big stallion named Syrah (like the wine.)  Riding on English style saddles kinda sucks, but galloping?  Galloping is amazing!  Oh, and I might have dropped my camera and my sunglasses and Aaron might have had to fetch them and then haul himself back up on his horse while said horse tried to run away.  That might have happened.





















I can't tell you how fun, fun, fun that ride was.  Wizard was feisty and kept wanting to run ... I wish I could ride horses every day ... or, well, maybe once a week (cuz I really couldn't sit right for a week after!)

Afterward we went to the nearby Solms-Delta winery and ate at their restaurant.  AMAZING.  They focus on using native fynbos foods.




 

Aaron had a dish of Portuguese sausage and calamari and I had this gorgeous, succulent Indian-spiced chicken:




 

  They also have a small museum dedicated to the archaeology of  the area, which is very cool:


Then, less than an hour's drive later we were in Cape Town, and in one of the nicest moments of the trip, I saw Table Mountain and thought, "ah, we're home!":


A few of our treasures from the trip:

 

All in all, the most, most, most amazing road trip ... words (I think you can tell) are failing me.  I'm just a very lucky girl!

1 comment:

  1. That horseback ride looks amazing. I love riding English style because you can feel the horse so much better (although admittedly there is a lot to be said for the comfort of Western saddles).

    ReplyDelete