About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

14 July 2011

Road Trip! -- Knysna

So, the first weekend we were at Mossel Bay, Aaron and I decided to indulge in one of our favorite activities -- minds out of the gutter people -- ROADTRIP!

Here's Aaron, driving on the wrong side!

We decided to go to Knysna (pronounced NAH-YS-NA), a beautiful sea-side town about an hour away from Mossel Bay:

 

Along the way, we stopped at a little stop with a farmer's market, tea shop and antique store:




Fellow Minnesotans, you know I was smiling big and thinking of the State Fair when I saw this!

Once in Knysna, we went to the waterfront ...


 

But it was freezing, windy and about to rain, so we ducked inside a restaurant ... Aaron had a miniature potjiekos made with venison and I had a Sweet Chili Chicken Mango Salad.  Yuuummm...



Then we found a great B&B to stay at thanks to our Lonely Planet Guide, The Inyathi Guest Lodge.  It's a former artist's colony, so each little cabin is unique.


 

Look at our awesome room:



Built around elements from an old church including stained glass windows -- a very groovy sunken bed with beautiful wood built-ins all around -- and BEST OF ALL:  a huge tub!  Let me tell you, all those damn stairs were hell on my knees and this fabulous tub soothed all my pains away!

And if that wasn't enough, they had the cutest little dog there!  She loved me and snarled at Aaron ... hehehe!

 


That night we ate at a really great Mozambican place called Catembe Bar & Restaurant. 

We started with calamari, then Aaron had seafood stew and I had my very own Roasted Miniature Chicken.  Dipped in a local, VERY spicy sauce called Peri-Peri.  Finger lickin', lip smackin' good!




So those were some of the meals and such; tomorrow I'll post on a few of Knysna's amazing natural wonders ...

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos! Is that our zebra in its natural habitat? Isa will be so excited. She thinks it might be insane because it has red eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That is your zebra in it's native home! Tell Isa the zebra isn't insane, just drunk ... heheheeee! So glad you're home safe!

    ReplyDelete