About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

11 July 2011

Heart-Sick

Hi guys ...

In the next few days I'll be updating you all on the wonderful last week in Mossel Bay and our roadtrip back to Cape Town...

But today, I have to share some horrible news.

Our beloved cat Mickey is gone.

.

In the last few days of being at Mossel Bay, we learned that his chronic health condition was much, much worse.

Although we left Minnesota knowing this was a possibility, neither of us thought it would happen so quickly.

My wonderful mother and father-in-law took Mickey in knowing his condition and did their best to take care of him, but in the end, he was just too sick.

He was in pain, and he was not our darling Mickey boy anymore, so we called and asked them to have him put down and I just now got word that he's gone.




I know all pets are special, but I can't describe how very special Mickey was.  He was the most unique cat Aaron and I had ever known.  From the moment we rescued him, he was such a character -- and a charmer -- always dressed for the occasion in his spiffy tux.  He was more dog than cat, more human than dog.  He loved to play fetch, always greeted us at the door when we came home, always wanted to be with us, was an incorrigible beggar at the table, was a super explorer that got into everything ... and was just the sweetest love of a boy.




Mickey was there for me on those nights I couldn't sleep, a soft 8-pound, purring comfort when nightmares or sorrows overwhelmed me.  He was with us for 7 years.  He leaves his brother Miles and his sister Bela.

Mickey, mi niƱo, I'm so sorry I couldn't be there with you, my heart breaks that I couldn't give you one more pet, one more big hug.  Thank you for all your sweet meows and purrs and for making our little family all the more joyous and happy and loving.  I will miss you so so so much you funny monkey.  Be happy wherever you may be, and I hope you finally get your paws on one of those squirrels...



3 comments:

  1. it seems that this has been a hard week for many beloved children in our lives. Nothing like the love we have for them - the connection and kindness they show us their entire lives long. My thoughts are with you and I am so sorry, much harder when you are away. My niece lost her 6 year old guinea pig Wilbur, and my friend Stirling her lifelong friend Chance, a dog child of 16. When I was living in Buenos Aires at 21 years old, my lifelong best friend, a 17 year old orange tabby I named Tigger went to heaven - and I remember how incredibly sorrowful I felt for this loss and not being there with him at that time - what comforted me is that I knew I had shared all 16 years up til that time as my best friend and I focused on remembering all our years of fun and connecting time together as I grew up. You are all in my thoughts! Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lorena I'm so sorry to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written and heartfelt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete