About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

28 July 2011

Ich bin ein Capetonian

Hey, so I was listening to Nina Simone belting out "Mississippi Goddam" and it reminded me that I hadn't done this post.

While walking along the other day I ran into this:


It is a remnant of the Berlin Wall.

The plaque below, reads in part:

"This is an original segment of the Berlin Wall, erected by the former East German Communist Regime ... to isolate the Western sectors of Berlin.  The Wall soon became a sad symbol ... of the suppression of freedom and violation of human rights.  588 people died trying to overcome The Wall.

This segment of the wall which has been given to Cape Town as a gift, has special significance as it is a monument of President Mandela's state visit to Germany and Berlin in May 1996."

That's what I love about Cape Town, just when you think you're just strolling down a lovely street, there's something to remind to really -- but really -- appreciate the loveliness around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment