About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

01 August 2011

Let Them Eat ... Whatever Goes Well with Wine!

On the second day of our road trip from Mossel Bay to Cape Town, we spent the night in the town of Franschhoek.  While there, everyone kept telling us about the upcoming Bastille Day festival.  As we didn't get a chance to really explore the town or see it during the day, we thought it would be a good idea to go -- so we did!

 
And to ensure a good time, we brought along Corey, he of the Mossel Bay excavation and Vegemite-love.  The drive started with spotting these folks:


 I've always wanted to do this and dang it I WILL before I leave South Africa!

Franschhoek was even prettier than I remembered:

 
It was great to see it so full of people, flags, food and WINE!  We went first to one of the wine tents where we sampled wine and food, saw some pretty stellar fashion choices ...


 

and I had this OMG-divine lamb sandwich (the lamb was being spit roasted right in front of us):


 Told you Corey was immensely tall, didn't I?  I reach to somewhere around his armpits!


Let them eat (cup)cake!

We then moved off to explore the streets.  It totally reminded me of being in the French Riviera (down to the hawkers and crowds.) There was a bit of everything, bands, vendors, food, fencing demonstrations, dudes in weird hats playing the accordion, art on display, lots (and lots, and lots) more wine ... and absolutely everything was draped in red, white and blue...


















 


All in all, an amazing day!

PS:  That night we might have drunk entirely too much wine while watching the Godfather, Part I (we HAD to, Corey had never seen it!) and I might have spent the whole next day cursing the alcoholic tolerance of Australians ... that might have happened ...

No comments:

Post a Comment