About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

31 August 2011

Recipe: Spicy-Sweet Chicken

What up kids?

Here is -- FINALLY -- the recipe I promised a while back!

It is fabulous -- incredibly easy and incredibly delicious!



Ingredients:
4 chicken legs & 4 chicken thighs, skin off
2 Tablespoons honey
1/4 cup soy sauce, dark if you can find it
1 inch ginger, grated
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup jarred peppadews, chopped*
Green parts of 2-3 green onions, chopped

*  Peppadews are a really lovely South African jarred pepper which are very sweet and spicy.  If you're not in South Africa, substitute your favorite chilis or a heaped teaspoon of red pepper flakes (or more, this all depends on your preference) and add another 2 Tablespoons of honey (so it would be a full 1/4 cup of honey total.)

Preheat your oven to 350F/175C.

Whisk all of the ingredients together (except the chicken.)  Pour over the chicken and bake for 20 minutes.  Flip chicken to the other side and bake another 15-20 minutes, till cooked through.

Once out of the oven, sprinkle with green onions.  (I think toasted sesame seeds would be great at this point as well, but I haven't tried that yet ...)


AMAZING with plain white rice and some cucumbers you've sprinkled with sesame seed oil, rice wine vinegar and a little salt.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment