About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

05 August 2011

Book Recommendation: Kobie Kruger

Hiya!  Just a quick recommendation today.

If you are interested in life in the African bush, I highly recommend Kobie Kruger's "Mahlangeni:  Stories of a Game Ranger's Family" and "All Things Wild and Wonderful."  (Sold in the U.S.A. as one joint book:  "Wilderness Family.")


These are 2 of the books that Jill lent me, and they'll great.  Are they the most innovatively-written?  No.  Are they super engaging?  Yes.  She writes about her life as woman, mom, wife whilst dealing with charging elephants, lion attacks, floods, angry hippos, etc., etc.

She also writes beautifully of her love of the land, of solitude and of the animals in her life.  She becomes a foster mother to a host of animals, including a lion -- and that story in particular was just pure magic.

Overall, wonderful books, I zipped through them both over one weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment