About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

04 May 2011

Cape Town Flea Market

This past weekend, I was able to indulge in one of my favorite activities -- flea marketing!

 
I LOVE LOVE LOVE thrifting, antiquing and all manner of sifting through piles o' junk to find treasures!

 
This has to be the best view any flea market has ever had ...

Old electronics mixed in with African masks and empty ostrich eggs ...

 Old typewriter?  Commemorative tin of The Royal Wedding (circa 1947)?

Empty grenade box anyone?

 Beautiful handmade mosaics

1920s Japanese diver mask ...

 
 Sweet little pooch that I wanted to stick in my bag and run away with! 

 Lovely fresh fruit and veg ...


There were tons of beautiful, handcrafted African goods

And look at this little guy ... I SO miss my cats at home that I totally wanted to buy him.  But upon further reflection (OK, so Aaron said:) "It looks like it was skinned from mangy roadkill.  It's freaky."  True.  But it's still kinda cute, no? 

This guy had the most magnificent Mohawk ... he cut quite a striking figure with his flags fluttering behind him!

 
Calamari King!  Have I mentioned how there is fried calamari everywhere around Cape Town?  In big, lovely strips.  If it hadn't been 9am, I would totally have gotten some...

However, we did get some of this, homemade ginger beer -- and no, it's not alcoholic!  It's fizzy, super gingery and delicious!  I'm gonna find a recipe and make me some!


In the end, all I got was a pretty robins-egg blue saucer (to use as a candleholder) for 1 Rand (about $0.15) and a basket to hold my eggs, potatoes and garlic for 5 Rand (about $0.80) 

... but what I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for in the future is a Potjiekos (pronounced Poyt-kee), a traditional South African cast iron Dutch Oven with legs that you can use while camping ... You can also bake bread in them.  I've heard great things about how beautifully they cook!

So yeah, that was my first great, South African thrifting adventure.  Wherever you may be, may the luck of the thrifters be with you!

5 comments:

  1. Okay, so seriously jealous. :) I think I'd have come home with most of the flea market, and probably died of a calamari overdose. lol If you find a good ginger beer recipe, please pass it on. I love a good ginger beer, but not easy to find in MN. Have I mentioned that I'm living in the wrong part of the world? :)

    Oh! And I'm voting with Aaron on the cat-like stuffed creature. It is freaky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha! girl, you would LOVE it here - seriously, I have to refrain from ordering calamari EVERY time we go out! I'll search for a ginger beer recipe and probably post about it, so you can see if it was any good or not ... and yeah ... OK, you're right, the stuffed cat is freaky! But let me tell you, I desperately miss my little babies! I guess it was a moment of desperation :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - I just realized that I wrote "eggs" (about what I'm putting in my basket.) Um, I meant onions ... my eggs are safely in the fridge. Except my ostrich eggs that is. I have Aaron sitting on those ... he!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, was that mosaic framing a mirror? Pick me up one of those...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, SO many good things! I want that typewriter so badly. And that Japanese diving mask has got to be a collector's item. What a lovely and fun place to be...that flea market has a couple dozen poems just waiting to be written. Stories in every item, stand, and vendor...writing heaven. Happy for you!

    ReplyDelete