About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

19 May 2011

A Chorizo by another name ... makes Commie-Pirate-Love-Cat Chicken Pot Pie

Here's another little update on our food adventures ...


So, this is what you find when you go hunting for Spanish Chorizo in Cape Town:

 
I was all, OK, so it looks like chorizo, through the packaging (hey dude, stop staring) it kinda smells like chorizo ... but "caurisco?"  Hey, what's life without a few culinary risks, right?

 
Thankfully, it was indeed chorizo, and with it, I made a quick eggplant and chorizo dish with rice ... not so pretty, but so yummy!

Then there was the pea and potato curry (from Evita's cookbook):

 
Here it is with Raita (Greek yogurt, grated cucumber and cumin) and fresh Naan from a place up the street.
 
And when we tired of curry leftovers, I turned it into my own creation, 
"Curry Pie!":


Super easy to do with pre-bought puff pastry.

Here is a Salvadoran seafood stew that Aaron made:

 It's got green and red peppers, mixed olives, onions, lots of garlic & seasonings and a mix of calamari, mussels and prawns.  DROOL.

Another Salvadoran meal, Chuletas Entomatadas - Porkchops in Tomato Sauce.


A delicious arepa -- which is my current solution to my need for corn tortillas -- I'll explain my increasingly frantic quest in detail later ...

 
Speaking of ... here's a quick lunch which consisted of a reheated fried fajita-taquito-enchilada thing and salad.  My bastard taquito thing was a desperate attempt to use up a pack of TEN DOLLAR flour tortillas before they went bad, cuz I wasn't about to throw away $10 tortillas!  Hey, any enterprising tortilla makers out there?  Get your asses to Cape Town!

Another quickie lunch, chickpea salad (half-mushed can of chickpeas, diced carrots and green pepper, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, lemon juice and red wine vinegar) and poached chicken.

Some churros y chocolate I got at a local restaurant called Sofia's - verrrry good!

And last, but certainly not least, indeed, I would say it is the Pièce de résistance: our "Commie-Pirate-Love-Cat Chicken Pot Pie":


Aaron loves a pie -- Shepard's Pie, Cottage Pie, a Chilean "Pastel de Choclo", any kind of fruit pie of course ... so, in good wifely fashion, I acted as his sous chef as he prepared his masterpiece -- our very own Chicken Pot Pie!  From scratch!  Well, except for the pastry, which was once again puff pastry -- hey, don't judge.

Here is it naked, in all it's gloriously creamy made-with-homemade-chicken-stock-that-I'd-never-have-time-to-make-at-home gravy.


Then we got creative with the crust.

 
And ooooh, look how purrty it came out of the oven.

Yes, that's a hammer and sickle (guess who put that on?)


And take a guess at who made my cute kitty a bad-ass pirate cat.  Yeah.

So anyhoo, it tasted as good as it looked.

All I can say is:

No comments:

Post a Comment