About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

10 May 2011

KOS!

(or "Food" in Afrikaans)

As I alluded to earlier, one of my goals while here in South Africa is to indulge my love of cooking -- with old favorites, Salvadoran specialties, and new South African discoveries.

Theretofore and such, here are a few things I've been a-eatin' and a-cookin' in the last 2 weeks (hard to believe I've been here 2 weeks!) 

My first breakfast in South Africa:  fruit salad, thoughtfully prepared by the boy, Greek yogurt, honey and cashews.

My first dinner in SA, also arranged by the boy.  I was so jet lagged, this is the best picture I got.  Boerewors (traditional South African sausage) and little baked Gem Squashes, both very popular here.  Plus a salad with Avo (a.k.a. avocado.)

 
Rusks!  A lovely, delicious South African staple, kind of a cross between a biscotti, a shortbread cookie and a buttermilk biscuit.  Very hard until you dip it into your morning coffee or tea!

Granadillas!!!! (Or "Passion Fruit" in the U.S.)  They are everywhere here (and unlike in the U.S. are relatively affordable.)  I have not eaten so many of these since I was a little girl in El Salvador.  It is super popular here, granadilla yogurt, granadilla juice, granadilla ice cream, granadilla cocktails!

 
 A posh little breakfast at this place called Caramello's consisting of an egg (easy-over by the way, not over-easy), bacon, wholemeal (not whole wheat) toast and grilled tomato.

Thanks to very heavy English influence, this is what you get when you order a scone in Cape Town!  Oh, and the tea ... the tea!  It is glorious here!  One week in and I was a confirmed tea fanatic!

HOT CROSS BUNS!  AMAZING.  I think they are my favorite South African food so far.  They are traditional for Easter and are slightly sweet buns flavored with spices (like cardamom and nutmeg I think) and dotted with raisins.  I had read about them for years and finally I had a chance to gobble greedily eat them myself!

A lovely Salvadoran dinner.  We started with Sopa de Res - Beef soup with carrots and potatoes, garnished with avocado and olive oil on top ...

And then we had this.  The beef that made the soup was then made into one of my favorite Salvadoran dishes: Salpicón!  It has lots of parsley and mint and onions and lemon -- think of it kind of like a beef tabbouleh.  You serve it with radishes, salad and plain white rice -- delicious!!!

An amazing veggie sandwich with salad at one of my favorite places I've discovered: Wellness Warehouse, a natural foods and goods store with a great café.

 
 A pineapple, beetroot (not beet) and ginger juice at the Wellness Warehouse.

So that's it for now ... lots more to come as I discover all the delicious things South Africa has to offer!

1 comment:

  1. Luscious, delicious and colorful! You are my kind of food writer for sure.... Yummmmm!

    Thanks for the invite. A feast, a feast! :-)

    ReplyDelete