About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

30 September 2011

Living with Less: DIY Pop-Top Earrings

Hiya!

So, I made these earrings before I left the U.S., but I thought they went with the theme of making do and are very much in the South African vein of making beautiful things out of stuff that most of us would throw away.


They are among my very favorite earrings (and I have a HUGE collection, lemme tell ya) and I always get lots of compliments when I wear them.  People ask, “What are those made of?” and they’re always surprised to find out that they’re just made out of pop tops.  (That would be soda tabs if you’re not a Midwesterner!)

They are much lighter than you’d think for such fabulous, bold earrings:

 

Each individual pop top can shift around, which contributes to their strong, sculptural quality:



 

They really make quite a statement – for next to no money!

 

They’ve got great “swish”


 And I love the fact that they look totally different, depending on the angle or light:

 

I don’t have any pictures of when I made them.  But never fear – these are incredibly easy to make.  Just stack them to the height you want (mine are 29 tabs high), bind them together, and attach an earring hook.


In fact there are really only 2 things to keep in mind:
  1. Keep all the tabs either face up or face down (rough side down is how I did mine), and
  2. Flip the direction of the tabs as you stack them, otherwise they go lopsided.  In other words, the first tab will have the smaller hole towards the left, then the 2nd tab will have the smaller hole towards the right, the 3rd will be towards the left, and so on and so on …
Here’s how I bound mine together:


Do you see the thin jewelry wire?  It’s just looped through one side of the tabs and out through the other.

And even though I used jewelry wire to bind mine together, I think they’d be super cute if they were bound by a colorful ribbon, yarn, etc.
 
Experiment with what you have around the house – and enjoy them!

PS:  If you don’t drink a lot of soda, or don’t want to wait to collect all those pop tops, go on eBay.  You can find huge bags of them for $5 or so …

3 comments:

  1. These are so cute!

    A fashion designer friend of mine once did an entire dress of pop tops (well, it was a knit dress covered in pop tops). It was spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ali! Make 'em, I swear, people always love them when I wear them :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw all photos.All earring very colorful thanks for this blog.All pics very beautiful.I like each all them.Explore our curated collection of Ethnic Earrings. Browse our Natural Hair, Map of Africa and Nefertiti earrings.

    naturally dope earromgs

    ReplyDelete