About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

12 September 2011

Book Recommendation: Peter Allison

Hi beautiful people!

So, I just finished a book, and it screams for a recommendation. 

Actually, I’m recommending 2 books, “Don’t Run, Whatever You Do,” and “Don’t Look Behind You!” both by Peter Allison


I had actually read “Don’t Run, Whatever You Do,” a couple of months ago.  I found it for less than $6 on my Kindle whilst searching for African travel literature – and loved it!

So imagine how happy I was when Gill said, “have you read Peter Allison?” and promptly put his second book onto the stack of books she was lending me

Both books are about his adventures as a safari guide in South Africa and Botswana.  The first thing I have to say about these books are that they are HILARIOUS!  Seriously, if you are a shy person, don’t read these books in public, because you WILL laugh out loud – often – and are likely to snort and behave in a most undignified manner.

Allison is completely self-deprecating and brilliant at finding humor in even the strangest circumstances.  Like when he finds himself stuck in the middle of a Mozambican minefield while fruit-picking.  Doesn’t sound like a funny situation, but let me tell you, it was pee-your-pants kind of hilarity.

The other thing that struck me was his unabashed love and reverence for wildlife and nature.  Much like Kobie Kruger, Allison’s passion is infectious and I really can’t wait to go on safari.  His descriptions are so vivid and alluring – from lion charges to the landscape of the Okavango Delta (desert right next to swamp) to finding chameleons at night – it’s great writing.

Lastly, I really appreciated his honesty as a writer, how open he is – from the silly (his clumsiness and amazing ability to drown Land Rovers) to the revealing and raw (being estranged from his parents, periods of deep depression.)

In all, they are great books – both very quick reads – and you really feel as if you are sitting around a campfire with Allison spinning his tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment