About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

01 May 2012

Road Trip!: Greatest Drive Ever: The 339 to Knysna

So, after Kruger, our next stop was Knysna.  That is clear across the country and took almost 2 full days of driving.  So you would have thought that by the end of it we would have been sick of being in the car, right?  Well, that would certainly have been the case had we not stumbled  onto the most beautiful drive I have ever been on (thanks to a GPS with uh, directional confusion).  No exaggeration.  Seriously.  I'm not kidding.  If this isn't in one of those "Great Drives of the World" type lists, it needs to be.

The photos here don't even begin to capture it:  mountains, winding streams, stunning flora and rock formations and as you go further south you go into the fynbos forest ... between my father-in-law and I, we kept telling Aaron to stop so we could take more pictures!  Of course he couldn't most of the time, because the road (dirt, by the way) was very narrow and went up some major cliffs ... and then there were the goats and cows ...

Goodness, seriously.  If you're ever in Uniondale and are wondering, "Do I take the N9 (the big highway) or do I take this little dinky thing that's barely labeled on the map ...?"  Do yourself a favor and take the R339.  If you get thirsty, you can stop at Angie's "G" Spot and have a hot beer.  And if you suffer from fear-of-careening-off-a-ledge-whilst-driving-too-fast-up-cliffs, like poor Sarah does, do as she did and sip some of your favorite South African pinotage.  That will set it all to rights.

Happy Travels!






































No comments:

Post a Comment