About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

06 February 2012

Natural Beauty: Honey and Yogurt Mask

Hi kids!

So I've decided that this week I'll tackle a topic that I've been meaning to get to forever:  natural beauty!  I am a big, nay, HUGE believer in using as many natural and organic products on my skin, hair, etc.  And I like to make many of the things I use myself.

In my experience, they work just as well (if not better!) than what you buy at the store, are A LOT cheaper, and are healthier for you and the environment (no unpronounceable chemicals going on your skin, no plastic packaging going into a landfill.)

The skin is the human body's largest organ, and drinks stuff in like crazy.  So why not use the best things you can on it?

I wanted to share with you a few of my favorite treatments, and I thought I'd start with my favorite facial mask.  This is a fantastically soothing and hydrating mask.  I'm using it in the middle of the South African summer to help soothe away all the sun exposure and wind, but it would be just as great in the middle of the Minnesota winter to counteract bitter cold and indoor heat.

It's so simple!  Take one heaped tablespoon of greek yogurt (full fat please, just get a little pot of it) and one level tablespoon of honey:


Mix:


And apply with a brush (I bought a cheap one at the dollar store just for putting on masks, etc.) Avoid the eye area.

 

And no dudes, I'm not naked!  It's just that my poor shoulders got sunburned so I applied the mask there as well:


In fact, I should say that if you're just planning on just doing your face, you can reduce the amounts of honey and yogurt to 1 teaspoon each.  

Leave it on 15-20 minutes then wash off with warm water.  Your skin will be SO soft and smooth, I swear.

Try it, you'll love it!

Oh, and also:


And:


SMOOCHES!

1 comment:

  1. You know what else makes a great mask? Take that yogurt and honey and add strawberries and ground oats. Whip it all up in the blender/food processor. I got that recipe from www.crunchybetty.com, my new favorite website, and it makes my skin look *fantastic.* Plus the leftovers are delicious.

    ReplyDelete