About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

15 February 2012

The V&A Waterfront

When you Google "things to do in Cape Town," one of the first things that pops up is the V&A Waterfront (V&A stands for Victoria and Albert.) 

It's a huge food/shopping/entertainment complex at the foot of Table Mountain and right in the middle of Cape Town’s working harbor.  Aaron and I have been there many a time, and I thought it was about time to share some pictures!

At the heart of it is a huge mall with everything from grocery stores (all malls have grocery stores in South Africa) to cinemas to super high-end shops.  It's nice and all, but you know, it's a mall.

So I've just taken pictures of the things I find interesting in the area:  the beautiful old architecture, the modern ferris wheel, Nobel Square*, the huge, tacky Coca-Cola man, the harbor, the boats, the mountain and cityscape, the street performers and ... some adorable little friends!

* Nobel Square honors South Africa's four Nobel Peace Prize Laureates with larger-than-life sculptures.  The four Laureates are: Albert Lithuli (1960), Desmond Tutu (1984), FW de Klerk (1993) and Nelson Mandela (1993)












Here are pictures from another day ... and look who joined us:




















2 comments:

  1. My wife and I stayed in this area for a few days during our time in Cape Town. We hope to some day make it back. My mother-in-law will be there for three months doing volunteer work. I may need to connect her with Aaron and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom!

    Isn't Cape Town fabulous? Yes, let us know when your mother-in-law is in town and if we can help in any way. Take good care, and I know I already said this in your facebook, but CONGRATS on that gorgeous boy of yours!

    ReplyDelete