About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

20 February 2012

The Lost Posts: The Night of the Wild Cats

Google be willing, as you read this, I will be far away from my computer ... at Kruger National Park!

Aaron's parents and his sister are here for 3 weeks!  One week we're spending at Kruger National Park, another week we're going to spend driving across the country, and the last week we're gonna spend in the Western Cape and Cape Town.

So needless to say I'm gonna be wicked busy.  I was going to just not post, but then I figured I'd put up some "lost posts" ... a couple of posts that I prepared and that for one reason or another I never made live, and then a few other posts where I had the pictures all ready but didn't write up the posts.  I'm preparing these ahead of time and hoping that I've figured out this whole thing so that they post while we're gone.

The first of these "lost postings" I wrote on May 6th of last year, right when I had first arrived in South Africa.  I wrote it up quick and meant to post it as a funny thing while we were at the archeological dig in Mossel Bay.  But then the unthinkable happened and our beloved Mickey had to be put down

For a long time I didn't even want to re-read this.  But I did recently and I figured that it gives you a good idea of how much I adore my cats and how very special Mickey was.

********

So, we have 3 cats at home:

Hi, I'm Mick.  I'm a fun-loving rouge in a dashing black-and-white tuxedo.  I'm a devilishly handsome, sometimes loud charmer who's always ready for a little mischief.  True, I may have some digestive issues, but I'll make up for it by playing fetch and refusing to leave your side.  Also, I have ADD and separation anxiety syndrome.

What up?  Name's Bela.  Yeah, I'm cute.  Tell me something I don't know.  Look, don't you be messing with me.  I came from the streets and I done never forgot the streets.  You get on my bad side and I'm gonna have to cut you Motherf***er.  Now, rub my belly and don't talk!

<<Yawn>>  I'm Miles.  I'm fat.  I'm fluffy.  I'm sweet.  I sleep.  I head-butt you when I want to lay on your chest and snuggle.  I have a pretty singing voice and enjoy windowsills and round sinks.  Nighty night.

UM, I miss them, can you tell?

So yeah.  That's for context.

Now, our story turns to a dark and stormy night ...

We're sitting in our apartment when we hear the ear-splitting sounds of multiple cats crying in our apartment corridor (we're on the 8th floor).

We go out and find a bunch of baby kitties roaming around; they had gotten in through an open back door probably trying to get out of the rain and were scared and confused.

And I was all like, Baby Jesus, you heard my prayers!

We asked the security guards and it turns out they were little strays that live in the apartment complex's courtyard. 

They were pretty feral, but I wanted to bring each one of them into the apartment (after all, all 3 of our spoiled brats at home were rescues.)  But Aaron said something about getting kicked out for violating our lease and so SIGH ...

Here's Aaron after returning them outside:



I mean look, 4 black and whites and there was even a teeny black one (which I never managed to get a picture of.)

Right?  Right? 

I'm gonna steal one and put it in my purse!  Alternately, I better find the nearest SPCO-type organization and volunteer before the kitty-withdrawal gets any worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment