About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

27 February 2012

The Lost Posts: Head Turners

I LOVE South African signs, graffiti, menu options and product names.

There are head turners around every corner.  I mean when was the last time you saw an official sign with the word "poo" on it?  It's particularly impressive given that you'll then see something that sounds like you're in Victorian England, such as the one denouncing "Untoward behaviour."

There's the pizza menu options, including bacon and banana.  Uh huh.

There's the Telefunken televisions; the Kgalagadi signs that are basically saying, "no whining;" the straightforward "you're gonna die if you walk out here" kind of signs; the threats of imminent plumbing work ...

Then there's all the "West Side" stuff!  As a girl who grew up on the West Side of St. Paul, I'm always delighted to see it, even if here it means more like Western Cape ...

There's my favorite sign in the history of the word requesting a little peace and quiet for reproducing ostriches ...

And the newspaper headlines!  Every day new posters are put up all over the city with that day's most sensationalist headlines.  They're winners, lemme tell you!

And last but not least is the sweetest piece of graffiti I've ever seen.  Just a simple little "I ♥ Cape Town."

I concur friend, I concur. 

















1 comment:

  1. My first thought when I read that pizza menu was, how do you slice anchovy paste?

    ReplyDelete