About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

02 February 2012

Recipes: Thai Garlic and Feta & Broccoli Salad

So, these recipes were not part of the pochi-a-thon, but I promised I'd give you the recipe for this awesome broccoli salad, so here 'tis!

It actually starts with another recipe ... or, well, it's more of a method.  I found this while browsing on Pinterest (PS, I LOVE Pinterest!)  

This is a Thai method of preparing garlic and garlic oil.  Essentially, you chop up lots of garlic (I used about 5 cloves) and cook it until golden in oil (I used olive oil, 3 tablespoons).  You put the garlic and oil in a cold pan then turn the burner on to high.  As the garlic starts to sizzle, start stirring and DO NOT STOP.  You want the garlic lovely and golden, NOT burnt.  Burnt garlic is bitter and awful.  So as it starts to get some color, you can turn the burner off (or way down), stir, stir, stir and as soon as it gets golden, whisk it off the heat and throw it in a strainer.  

It should look something like this:


The oil that you strain off is now fantastic, garlic-infused olive oil!:


Ok.  So now that you've got that, the broccoli salad is a breeze!



Again, I got the inspiration for the salad from a recipe I saw on Pinterest.  It didn't use the Thai garlic, but I thought it would be fantastic -- and it was!

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon Thai garlic oil
2 rounded teaspoons Thai garlic
1-2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar (start with less and add to taste)
Big handful slivered almonds
Approximately 3 cups broccoli florets
As much feta cheese as you'd like!
Salt and pepper to taste.

Method:
Throw the almonds in a dry pan and toast till golden.  Put aside.  

Cook the broccoli (steam or boil) till al dente and shock in ice water to keep its color.  Drain.  (If it's at all soggy, give it a good squeeze!)

Mix the garlic oil and vinegar in a small bowl.  Add salt and pepper, but take it easy on the salt as the feta is salty.

Now put the cooled broccoli into a big bowl and throw the feta in.  Pour the garlic oil and vinegar mixture on top.  Toss well.  Taste and correct the salt if necessary.  Add the Thai garlic and almonds, give one last toss and ENJOY!!!

Oh, and the amounts I gave for the Thai garlic will make more than what you'll need for the salad, so keep the rest and use it elsewhere!  Just keep the garlic and garlic oil in the fridge and you have them ready to give whatever you're making a really delicious punch of flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment