About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

15 June 2011

Food: In Sickness and in Health

So, as yesterday I talked about my intestinal issues, what better topic to address today than food!

Hee!

Here are a bunch meals before the IBS, and a few after...

This was a lovely veggie soup made by Norman's wife, Dawn, along with a South African specialty, Vetkoek (it literally means "fat cakes"):


Vetkoek are light, fried biscuits -- yum!

Then 3 recipes from my Evita cookbook -- all really good!

Potato Feta Salad:

 Delicious and unique potato salad with new potatoes, feta cheese, capers, red pepper flakes, parsley and a simple vinaigrette dressing

Butternut Squash Pasta:

 Very unusual, but absolutely delicious, it's served with toasted pumpkin seeds and feta cheese on top.

And last of the Evita recipes, Chicken Patties:

Scrumptious, and a really good way to make a little bit of leftover chicken stretch to make a whole meal.

Then, feeling a bit homesick, I made Sopa de Frijoles con Chilmol:

Salvadoran Bean Soup (eaten with rice) and topped with Salvadoran fresh salsa (Chilmol.)

Arepa topped with homemade Guacamole:


A very simple rice salad with cucumbers, tomatoes and mixed olives:

A quick and delicious lunch!

And my absolutely favorite thing I've made lately, Sticky-Spicy Chicken:

 
We went to a restaurant called Africa Cafe, and they had this amazing chicken dish -- this was my attempt to recreate it.  It wasn't exactly like theirs, but still so, so, soooooooo good -- I'll post the recipe if I can decipher my scribbled notes.

And then, post IBS ...

TOAST, TOAST, AND MORE TOAST!

 I've had toast in every way you can imagine, and thankfully, my tummy is happy to also digest avocado, so this is avocado mashed with a little salt and spread over whole wheat toast ... with tea, a perfect breakfast!

Thankfully all fruits seem to be OK with my tummy, so I've been indulging in these gorgeous, pink-fleshed South African oranges:

Not as sweet as typical American ones, but I love their slightly acerbic taste and they are so juicy!  I sprinkle just a touch of salt on them -- that's a very Salvadoran thing -- salt on fruit.

Pasta is also OK for me to eat, so this is just a nice, simple linguine with a quick sauce made of fresh tomatoes and leeks:

A little Parmesan would have been great here ... but oh well ...

So that's it ... where ever you may be, ¡buen provecho!

1 comment:

  1. Mouth-watering and scrumptious! Even my post-upset-stomach stomach is hungering for your beautiful concoctions. Thanks for the feast, as usual!

    ReplyDelete