About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

08 June 2011

Roasted Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic and Oven Roasted Potatoes

Hiya folks!

Here's the recipe we made for our anniversary.  I checked out lots of different recipes but finally settled on one from the now finished (sad!) "Almost Bourdain" blog from Australia.  Here's the original recipe, and below is mine with the modifications I made:

Ingredients:

3 bulbs garlic
1 Tblsp (15 g) butter, softened
3.3 - 3.4 lb (1.5 kg) whole chicken
3/4 - 1 tsp salt (Medium Coarse Salt, like Kosher Salt)
3/4 - 1 tsp cracked black pepper
1 cup (250 ml) white wine
A few sprigs of fresh thyme

Oven Roasted Potatoes:
1 pound (500g) baby/new potatoes
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
2. Separate cloves from garlic bulb, but LEAVE PEELS ON.
3. Rub butter over outside of chicken and inside cavity; press combined salt and pepper onto skin and inside cavity.
4. Place 1/4 to 1/3 of the garlic inside cavity as well as the sprigs of thyme; tie legs together with kitchen string.
5. Place remaining garlic cloves, in single layer, in medium baking dish; place chicken on garlic.
6. Pour the wine into dish; roast, uncovered, about 1 hour 20 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
7. Meanwhile, make oven roasted potatoes: Microwave potatoes 5 minutes.  Then place potatoes, in single layer, in baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Roast alongside chicken for the last 30 minutes of its cooking time or until potatoes are tender.
8. Let chicken rest, covered with foil, 15 minutes before serving with roasted garlic and potatoes. 
9. Serve with a nice salad; squeeze out the roasted garlic from the peels and spread on crunchy bread or the potatoes -- delicious!

3 comments:

  1. no problem! It's really easy and soooo good, definitely worth a try ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh yeahhhh... You just cannot have too much garlic. I'm drooling!

    I will have to try this recipe. I like to roast chickens with a handful of garlic cloves and a lemon (cut in quarters) inside. The lemon adds to the juice and it's not too bitter because the oil in the lemon peel is relatively mellow.

    I'm sad you both must be so far away, but I'm glad I'm at least getting good recipes out of it.

    ReplyDelete