About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

11 June 2011

Spiderman!

So, last time, I talked about the loveliness of the people of South Africa, and how they shine a lot brighter than the country's problems.

Really, people here are so incredibly friendly.  Given my recent ... uhhh ... digestive issues, the lady at the pharmacy has taken to calling me "dear."

And speaking of dear, here is someone who has become very dear to Aaron and I.

I present to you, the real Spiderman!:


This is Norman Larsen.  He and his family have quickly become our adopted family here in South Africa.  He is an Associate Arachnologist at the Museum where Aaron works (Iziko, South African Natural History).  His wife works in the Entomology department at Iziko Natural History and their daughter works at another of the Iziko Museums (the Slave Lodge.)

They are the ones who took us to the Cape of Good Hope, Table Mountain National Park, Kirstenbosch and numerous other places.  They've also lent us their TV, fed us in their kitchen and have generally helped us acclimate to a whole new life.

Oh, and they cured whatever fears we might have ever had about spiders:



 
That's Rosie, a Chilean Rose Tarantula.  She was surprisingly soft and very docile.

Norman is a passionate naturalist, an author, oh, and he's got terrific fashion sense and sense of humor:


Cheers to him and his wonderfully kind and generous family for making us feel at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment