About Me

My photo
Hello! Welcome to my online travel-food-life journal/virtual scrapbook. I am a poet, playwright, journalist, editor and basic jack-of-all-trades writer. I was born in El Salvador and raised in Minnesota. I have just returned home from a year and a half in South Africa.

04 June 2011

Our 6th Anniversary

So over the past 2 weeks the biggest event was celebrating this day:


Yes, indeed, 6 years ago we did solemnly vow to wash each other's socks, hold our tongues when we know our dearly beloved is sadly deluded and cannot bear to hear it, and other glorious marital duties!

Heeeee!  No really, this dude is my favorite person in the world.  He's a maniacal goof and I'm a crazy kook and it's all good in the hood.

I was most happy to be celebrating it, not just in a beautiful place, but also -- TOGETHER!  Because of Aaron's work, namely his archaeological digs, we've only celebrated 2 -- or 3?, can't remember now -- of our anniversaries together.  So it was really lovely.

We celebrated much like we celebrate all "big" days (Valentine's B-days, etc.) by making a really special meal at home.

We made roasted Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic:

We had always wanted to try this and it was amazing!  I modified the recipe from various sources, but it was super easy and SOOOO FLIPPING DELICIOUS.  Let me know if  you want the recipe.

Some very simple Roasted Potatoes:

Crunchy-on-the-outside, soft-and-scrumptious on the inside.

Salad with Watercress, Rocket, Roasted Beets and Avocado:


And finally, the absolute crowning jewel of the meal, homemade bread:

This was my first time making it, but it won't be the last my darlings!  It might look a little misshapen, but it was amazing -- like a true "peasant boule."

If you don't know me, and my yeast-murdering ways, you have no idea what a feat this was!  Seriously, I have a (well-founded) fear of baking.  See, I'm an off-the-cuff kind of a gal, and therefore I love cooking -- adding a little of this, a little of that.  And baking is a science, and honeys, I was not a science major.

But this recipe is SO easy -- it is the famous no-knead bread recipe from the New York Times. It requires a cast-iron (or other very heavy duty pot) and I've been wanting one forever, and that's what my hunny got me for our anniversary.  He ain't no fool!

Oh, and we had lovely South African champagne, but I forgot, what with all the feasting, to take a picture or even write down the name ...

So there you go, that was our little anniversary celebration!


1 comment:

  1. The meal looks great, Id' like the recipe please, Linne

    ReplyDelete